Mindfulness, or the ability to be fully present and aware is an important skill for children to develop.
Amygdala Jars are amazing FUN to make and scientifically work to calm the mind, helping children to regulate their emotions and be able to focus.
-Glass or plastic jars with lids
-1/2 cup of glitter glue or clear glue
-1-2 teaspoons glitter
1. After gathering supplies, pour 1/2 cup of distilled water into the jar(Use plastic if your child is prone to throwing things when frustrated, wound up or angry). Using distilled water is more effective as it contains no contaminants or minerals and will keep glitter jars mould free.
2. Invite kids to pour 1/2 cup of glitter glue or clear glue into the jar. It will take about 2 minutes for the glitter to settle in the jar.
3. Add 1-2 teaspoons of extra glitter to the jar.
4. Fill up the remainder of the jar with distilled water.
5. Secure the lid on tight (if you have a hot glue gun, you can glue it on, so it is secure).
6. Shake the jar well to distribute the glitter. (It make take a few shakes and a rest overnight to convince to glue to disperse completely)
Teach your children how to use them through modelling and get them to share how they are feeling after they use them each time.